Sabudhana / Javarassi is not used a lot in my house..We are not a big fan of sabudhana upma..dont mind having it, once in two months maybe :D , as papads i always prefer koozhu vathala ( a fritter made of flour) more.. IN my MIL's place they make Sabudhana Koozhu, which S loves a lot & can have bowls of it!! The only form i love this is in the form of a vada..
As a kid,Amma had done this once & god knows what happened, the vada split, spluttering oil over her & all over the place..She was stunned & that's it, she never tried that again..& i forgot all about it.. My love for this vada re-surfaced, when Goli, a joint in Bangalore (known for its Vada-pav & sabudhana vada) opened..& every time we came to Jayanagar side, we would pick up varieties of Vada-pav's ( you get many varieties out there) for everyone and sabudhana vadas for me..Of course,with the vada pav!! :D.It almost become a ritual..passing goli & not picking up vada for me, would be the biggest crime ;)
After a long time, i made this here..Its pretty cold out here & there are those craving days, when you want to eat something hot & something fried..This is easy to make, taste good, crisp outside & lightly chewy inside..Just the way i like it :)
1. Sabudhana/Javarasi/Sago - 1 cup
2. Curd - 1/2 - 3/4 cup
3. Rice Flour - 1/2 cup
4. Green Chillies - 3/4
5. Jeera/Cumin - 1-1.5tsp
6. Red Chilli powder - 1tsp
7. Salt - to taste
8. Boiled & mashed potatoes - 1/2cup (optional)
9. Coconut (fresh/frozen)- 1/4 cup (optional)
9. Oil - for deep fry
1. Take sabudhana is a bowl & clean it a couple of time. Drain the water & place in a bowl
2. Add the chopped chillies, jeera, potatoes, coconut ( i didn't use them),rice flour & curd to the sabudhana. Mix well and let it rest for close to 1-2 hrs ( You will notice that the sabudhana would have become soft by now)
3. You could reduce or increase curd based on the vada consistency. The dough has to be thick, like lentil vadai & not watery..
4. After 1-2 hrs, if you feel the mixture to be very dry, go ahead & add a little more curd, so that its moist, yet firm
5. Heat the oil & once its hot enough to fry ..take small ball of the vada mixture, flatten to a round shape & deep fry them
Enjoy with tomato ketchup :).. Guess next time i make this, will post pics of the batter!
Serving : 15 medium sized vadas
Duration : Active time - 20 minutes
Sending this to
Sumee's Bon Vivant : Savory Items, Cuisine Delights' Colorful Holi, Preethi's 'Color N Sweet- Holi Fest' ,Surabhi's Holi Hai,Resh' Comfort Food & my own event 'Im The STAR'