Today for the last of the Marathon i choose Chila Sandwich..I am sure most of you have heard of Chila..I didn't know about this until a year back! Chila is basically a dosa variety made of Chickpea flour/Besan and is the closest replica of an omlette :)..As i write this post, i have to narrate the incident how i learnt about this recipe!!
There was a time, when i would make frequent trips between Chennai & Blore... I would come to Blore on Fri night & leave back to Chennai on Mon morning in Shatabdi and go directly to work! I would choose the Mon morning trains bcoz i would get an extra night with mom :).. we would talk all night & i would catch up on sleep in the train! (I am one of the blessed people, who can sleep comfortably during travels ;)).. Needless to say, i prefer the window seat, so i don't have to disturb anyone & vice-versa..On one such travel, my co-passenger was a lady with 2 kids .. a 4-5 yr old girl and a new born! She was visiting her parents in Chennai and first time traveling alone with her kids...Husband was relieved to see a lady next to his wife.. explains his constraints on how he can't travel :)..Sensing maybe they need a moment together, i stepped out on pretext of making a call & when i came back, i notice, the lil girl has taken my window seat :( !!
Now... the kid is busy staring outside ( though you can't see anything outside, thanks to the tinted glasses), i didn't have the heart to ask her to exchange, so sat in the aisle seat..thinking 'time to sleep rasi :)' and my lady companion starts speaking!!!! I do talk a lot..can get instantly started too.. but if i have to choose between talking or sleeping.. Sleep would my choice :) (exceptions for a few though :D)... Madam starts off & during the journey, i knew where she was brought up..to her wedding details.. to her honeymoon..& her day to day activities,,her family members.. her choice of clothes...i even saw her honeymoon pics :) beat that!!! I think those were the quietest 5 hrs of my life..where all i did was nod..say few words like ..yeah..oh nice.. cool..& smile :))
When she has told me about everything.. how could recipes be left behind?? I was just learning to cook & was still by hearting the name of the lentils & the recipes .. she was explaining their breakfast, lunch dinner menu :D..She had told me about this Chila Sandwich ..and the good thing of listening for 5 long hours is, i remember the recipe till date :)..so typical of me to remember one thing so vividly, but can't figure out what her name was :)!! Off to her recipe now...easy, tasty & super quick..
1. Besan/ Chickpea flour - 1/2 cup
2. Onion - 1/4 cup
3. Tomato - 1/4 cup
4. Green Chilli - 1
5. Ginger - 1 inch
6. Curry Leaves - a sprig
7. Turmeric powder - a pinch
8. Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
9. Water - 3/4 cup
10. Oil - to drizzle
11. Bread slice - 2
12. Green Chutney - 2 tsp
13. Tomato Sauce - 2 tsp
14. Butter/Cheese - 1 tsp
1. In a bowl, take the besan, add onions,green chillies and curry leaves to it
3. Take two scoops of batter and make a dosa in a heated pan. As there are veggies in the batter, pour & slowly spread it.. Drizzle oil around the dosa and once cooked, flip around and cook for another minute..the chila is done!
4. To make the sandwich, take two slices of bread ( I used whole wheat variety).. toast it on the pan and once it turns brown, remove off pan.. On one bread slice, apply green chutney & on the other sauce ( i used maggi hot & sweet variety)
5. Fold the Chila and place it in the centre on of the slices & add grated butter on top ( Its ideally cheese, i didn't have it so replaced with a little butter) and enjoy...
The butter had started melting, by the time i started clicking :)
* You could skip the sandwich part & have chila alone..it tastes good with some chutney or sauce
** You could skip butter & cheese too.. that was for kids ( according to her :))
*** 1/2 cup besan makes around 3-4 medium chila's
A quick Recap of what i did during the previous six days :)
Day 6 : Uttappam
Day 5 : Jini Dosa
Day 4 : Menthya Dosa
Day 3 : Tavala Dosa
Day 2 : Rava Masala Dosa
Day 1 : Set Dosa
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what the fellow Marathoners are doing this BM#14
Chila safely tucked in!
Sending this to Valli's Kids's Delight hosted by Rujutha, Kalyani's Holi Fest, Nayna 'Lets Cook Speedy Snacks', Gayatri's Walk through Memory lane hosted by Roshan and Charu's Tea time