So, today for day 5 of BM#14, i choose this..How did i learn this?? Well, i learnt this from my MIL.. We ran out of tiffin options & she said she will make Susheela.. I was like Susheela??! I had never heard of such a name, at least for a snack item...She told me when she was in Bidar, this was a common item and prepared it in a jiffy.. When i had it, it tasted just like Girmit and the next thing i did was to announce to my whole family the recipe :D..My sisters kids loved it & is a staple in their place and that's how it found its place in this edition of BM :)
1. Onions - 1/2 cup
2. Tomato - 1/2 a tomato
3. Green Chilli - 1
4. Turmeric powder - 1/4tsp
5. Puffed Rice - 2 1/2 cup
6. Roasted Channa gram/Pottukadalai - fistful
7. Roasted Salted Peanuts - fistful (optional)
8. Salt - to taste
9. Oil - 1 tsp
1. Take roasted channa gram, peanuts in blender & grind it to a semi coarse powder. Keep aside
2. In a pan, add oil. Once warm, add finely chopped onions, green chillies & turmeric. Saute till light brown, add finely chopped tomato and sauté for 2-3 minutes
3. Now, place a bowl of water nearby. Reduce the flame.Add a fistful of puffed rice to the water.Just lightly push it in water & immediately remove it & put it directly to the pan. Repeat the same for the rest of the puffed rice.. Idea is to just soak it enough..so it does not become very moist but is neither crisp!
4. Mix the puffed rice well with onion tomato mixture & add 3 tsp heaped mixture of the roasted gram-peanut mixture and mix well..
It doesn't have to be hot..You could keep aside for a while & yet it tastes good!
* Original dish they don't add peanuts, my sis started adding them bcoz her kids love peanuts.. so i thought i would do the same..
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what the fellow Marathoners are doing this BM#14