This time for Magic Mingle #3, the magic ingredients we got were Whole wheat & Corn..Quite a different combo & i was thinking what to prepare, using the magic ingredients!! I didn't want to bake anything..already done with corn muffins..corn paratha's was my back up option..I wanted to do something different & its been on the back of my mind..
Yesterday, while re-arranging my clothes, i saw a potli (surruku pai), gifted during some wedding, in which i has stored my bangles..It suddenly hit me, why don't i make a potli using whole wheat in its powdered form ~Atta & i would make a corn stuffing for that.. I was excited to try this & am happy to announce people..Mission Accomplished :D!!
For the Potli/Outer cover
1. Wheat flour/Atta - 1 cup
2. Salt - 1/2 tsp
3. Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
4. Ghee - 1-2 tsp
5. Water - a little more that half cup
For the Stuffing
1. Corn - 1/2 cup ( I used frozen american corn)
2. Onion - 1/2 cup
3. Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
4. Kalongi/ Nigella seeds - 1 tsp
5. Sesame seeds - 1/2 tsp
6. Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
7. Bay leaf/Tej Patta - 1
8. Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
10. Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
11. Coriander-cumin powder - 1tsp
12. Garam masala powder - 1/2tsp
13. Turmeric powder - 1/4tsp
14. Besan/Chickpea powder - 2tbsp
15. Cilantro - 1 tbsp
16. Salt - to taste
17. Oil - 2tsp
Oil - for deep frying
The ingredients list looks like a lot of items, but trust me its all the basic ingredients :)..I used everything i had ;)
1. Take the wheat flour, salt, red chilli powder in a bowl. Add ghee & mix & then slowly add water to form a firm dough.. The dough should be like the one, we do for puri's & not very soft like chappati's! Knead well & let it rest for 10-15 minutes..
3. Since i used frozen corn, i cooled it room temperature & dried the corn using a towel. Reason was to remove the moisture from corn! Then, make a paste in blender, without adding anything. Add this to the mixture in the pan
4. Then add all the spice powders - coriander-cumin, garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric, salt & mix well
5. Mix well & then add besan, salt & cilantro & mix well. Add 1 tsp of oil & sauté this for 3-4 minutes, till the raw smell of began goes
6. Remove off flame & cool it. Remove the ten patta/bay leaf.Then make small balls of this mixture & keep aside. The mixture will appear powderey! But mix well and small balls can be formed!
7. Now, from the rested dough,pinch a small portion to make mini puri 's.. Grease the rolling base with a drop of oil & make round puri's without adding powder..(Addition of wheat powder for greasing, actually de-colors the oil). Then, place a corn ball in the centre
8. Finally, wrap the puri around the ball (Similar to how we wrap for modal or kozhakattai). Dont flatten the top, just join them and press to seal. Then take a small pinch of dough..roll it into a thin long line & wrap it on the top to give the potli effect..
9. Deep fry in oil & remove when it turns golden brown! Since the base is thick, it will take a little longer, than usual fried items
It tastes great & you can just pop them in your mouth..You don't need any chutney or sauce!
Serving : Makes around 8 ( the dough still remains, you could use that to make puri or chapati..might get 2 puri's)
Duration : 40 minutes
Sending this to Kalyani's Magic Mingle #3, Surabhi's Holi Hai, Chandrani's 'Colorful Holi', Preeti's ' Colorful Holi', Amy's 'Mid week Fiesta' and Sumee's ' Bon Vivant : Savory'