Today for the third day of BM, i choose Thengai Podi/ Coconut Powder..I love coconut :).. I love its versatility and the way it enhances the taste of the dishes..One such powder which i have a stock of at home is this.. Easy to make & comes in so handy!
I don't really have any memories or stories or incidents which i associate with this, just the fact that its so integral to our household! Amma would always have a stock of Thengai, Karavapillai ( Curry Leaves), Paruppu (Lentil) Podi's at home and my MIL does Vazhakkai (Plaintain) & Aalo Podi. Shall eventually post all those here..Without further ado..here to the recipe :)
1. Channa dal - 1 tbsp
2. Urad dal - 1tbsp
3. Red Chillies - 6-8
4. Fresh Shredded Coconut - 1-1/2 cup (I used frozen though)
5. Jaggery - 1/2 - 1 tsp (optional)
6. Salt - to taste
7. Oil - 2 tsp
8. Hing - a pinch
1. In a pan, add 1 tsp of oil and when warm, add Channa dal, Urad dal,red chillies and hing.Sauté till they turn light brown
2. Remove of flame & cool the dal mixture. In the same pan, add another tsp of oil & then add the coconut & sauté till it turns brown too. Remove off flame & cool it
3. First blend the dal mixture to a semi-coarse powder. Then add coconut, jaggery & salt and blend to a powder
There you go! The powder is ready. Store it in an air tight container. Mix with rice & ghee and enjoy with Karamedu/Poriyal!
* Saute the coconut continuously. Takes close to 10 - 15 minutes for the moisture to evaporate and turn brown! If left unattended, tends to stick to the pan and become dark brown..
** In case you don't have jaggery, you can use brown sugar too!
Serving : 1 cup ( 1 cup van hold 236 ml)
Duration : 25-30 minutes
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what other Blogging Marathoners are doing this BM#15
Sending this to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Ramya