The best part of this Sambhar is the ground spices which gives it a distinct taste & the aroma is just awesome.. even if i may be the one saying so :)..I dont know whether its my love for this Sambhar or the fact S loves it or its the Sunday mood effect..this has always been my comfort food....Ohh! Just a bowl of pachidi/raitha and karamedu/poriyal ( Ideally a sinful poriyal) just makes the weekend so perfect :) ( the foodie talk :D)
1. Oil - 2 tsp
2. Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
3. Curry leaves - a sprig
4.Drumstick - 2 or 3 ( I used frozen, so had close to 10-12 pieces)
5. Toor dal - 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
6. Tamardind paste - 2 tsp
7. Sambhar powder - 2-3 tsp* (optional)
8. Water - 5 cups
9. Turmeric powder - a pinch
10. Hing - a pinch
11. Salt - to taste
To Roast & Wet Grind
1. Coriander seeds/ Dhania - 2tsp
2. Channa dal - 1 tbsp
3. Red Chillies - 5-6
4. Methi/Fenugreek seeds - 3
5. Coconut - 2 tbsp
6. Water - 1/2 cup
7. Oil - 1 tsp
1. Take the toor dal in a bowl, add a pinch of turmeric,a drop of oil and 2 cups of water & pressure cook it for upto 4 whistles. Once cooled, lightly mash it & keep aside
2. In a pan, add oil. Once warm, add mustard seeds & as it splutters, add curry leaves & drumstick. To this add sambhar powder & just mix so that it coats drumsticks...
3. Next add tamarind paste & water. To this add turmeric powder, hing & salt & let it boil well, till the raw smell of tamarind goes
4. Meanwhile as the tamarind water boils, in another pan, add 1 tsp of oil and once warm, add the ingredients mentioned in 'To Roast & Wet Grind' table, except for coconut and water. Sauté till it turns light brown. Remove of flame..cool & add coconut, water & grind to a smooth paste
5. When the tamarind smell subsides, add the mashed dal. Mix well & simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the ground mixture and mix well. Let is simmer for another 5-7 minutes & remove off flame
The Sambhar thickens after the addition of lentils & ground paste. Make sure you stir, coz the lentils have a tendency to stick to the bottom..
Serve with rice or along with tiffins like dosa/ idli.... We enjoy this with Pachidi/raitha and a dry curry!
* Addition of Sambhar powder can be skipped totally, since we are adding ground spices. I feel adding a little sambhar powder, enhances the taste more :)
** If you land up getting fresh ones, chop them to get 3-4 small pieces!
Servings : 3-4 people
Duration : 45 minutes ( Inclusive of pressure cooking dal)
Sending it to Vidhya's Love Lock Series : Legumes hosted by Vardhini