Kovakkai Or Gherkins is one veggie we both like :)..Yesterday i had posted the Curry powder & today i thought i would extend its use to a veggie and choose this as a part of BM 15. Its not necessary to add this powder to the veggie, but its different & a variation is always good right :)
Coming to think of Kovakkai, someone had told my MIL that too much of this veggie makes your memory weak.. Have you guys heard of such stories?? Like.. ladies finger makes you do Math well ( I fell for this..so would ensure i east ladies finer before my Math test :))..So many such stories..cant remember them.. Gherkins effect maybe :D...I dono, whether they are true or these stories were created to make kids eat.. Share with me your experiences..would love to hear them :).. Now off to the recipe!
1. Oil - 2-3 tsp + 1/2 tsp
2. Mustard seeds - 1-1/2 tsp
3. Channa dal - 2 tsp
4. Urad dal - 2 tsp
5. Gherkins/Kovakkai - 5 cups
6. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
7. Red Chilli powder - 1.5 tsp
8. Curry Powder - 5-6 tsp
9. Salt - to taste
1. Remove both the end of Gherkins and cut them into long slices and keep aside
2. In a pan, add 2-3 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds. As they splutter, add Channa & Urad dal and sauté till they turn light brown
3. Then add the gherkins and mix well. To this add the chilli, turmeric powders, salt and mix well. Saute till they gherkins are cooked. Stir occasionally & don't blacken them
4. You could go ahead & have it as stir fried veggie too..
5. Another variation is.. To this cooked gherkins, add the Curry powder and remaining 1/2 tsp of oil and mix well. Gently mix and sauté for 3-5 minutes & its ready to be served
Serve as an accompaniment with rice dishes or with roti's or just enjoy it in a bowl !
* I didn't know how much of Gherkins i had picked up.. So after chopping they measured 5 cups & each cup of mine can hold 236 ml
** Reduce the amount of curry powder & other spices based on the quantity you use.. 5 cups may seem like a lot, but they shrink as we sauté them
Serving : 2-3 generous helpings
Duration : 30 minutes
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what other Blogging Marathoners are doing this BM#15
Sending this to Priya's Health Side Dishes hosted by Cooks Joy