1. Soya Chunks - 1 cup
2. Onion - 1 cup
3. Boiled Potatoes - 4 medium sized
4. Capsicum - 1 (When chopped comes up to 1/2 cup + 1tbsp)
5. Carrot - 2 tbsp (grated)
6. Chilli powder - 1 tsp
7. Pepper powder - 1 tsp
8. Corinader-cumin powder - 1 tsp
9. Garlic paste - 1 tsp
10. Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
11. Lemon -Juice of half a lemon
12. Cornflour - 5 tsp
13. Poha/Flattened rice - 1/2 cup * (optional)
14. Oil - for shallow frying
15. Salt - to taste
For Burger Bun
1. Buns - 4
2. Butter - 2-3 tbsp
3. Cheese - slices ( for each bun)
4. Sauce - 1/2 -1 tsp
1. Pressure cook the soya chunks with 2 cups water for one whistle. Once done, wash it well in cold water & squeeze the water out
2. While the soya is getting cooked, in a pan take 1-2 tsp of oil, add chopped onion & capsicum & sauté till done (they turn light brown). Cool it & then blend it with the cooked & squeezed soya chunks to form a nice mixture
3. Mash the potatoes. To this add the soya-capsicum-onion mixture. To this add garlic ginger paste and coriander-cumin powder
4. Next add chilli & pepper powder. Add salt and add lemon juice. Then add grated carrot and mix well
5. Add corn flour next and mix well. Pinch a big ball of the mixture and flatten to make a thick cutlet..Dip this in powdered flattened rice * and shallow fry them till done
6. Take the bun..To make it more healthy, i used the multi grain burger buns! To this spread butter. Place the cutlets in the centre, add a slice of cheese. Add sauce & close.. Soya Burgers are done!
* 1.You can add soya to hot water for 15 minutes.. That method never works for me, so i pressure cook!
2.Dipping the cutlets in powdered flattened rice/poha is optional.. it adds crunchiness, so i do that
3.You could fry them too.. Since i was trying to make it healthy, i kept them on tawa for a longer time, with less oil!
4.The original recipe does not include sautéing onions & capsicum. We don't like it raw so sautéed them & blended them!
5. Go ahead add tomatoes, spinach in your burger..Whatever u like :)
Duration : 1 hr ( Considering boiling of potatoes, soya & shallow frying)
Serving : Makes 10 big sizes cutlets