Horsegram is supposed to help with weight loss too.. I have heard that it really helps lower your bad cholesterol and solves the problem of water retention in the body! Many dietitians advocate the addition of Kollu Podi in the diet.. almost similar to flax seed powder.. and it could be added to sambhar or subzi..I haven't really tried that though..
One thing which i do use is Kollu/Horsegram Podi as a Accompaniment.. I had made a note of this recipe long time ago from the net..But this has worked fine for me..so here comes the recipe for BM !
1. Kollu/ Horsegram - 1 cup
2. Peppercorns - 1 tsp
3. Jeera - 1tsp
4. Red Chillies - 5
5. Hing - a pinch
6. Salt - as per taste
7. Oil - 1/2 tsp
1. Heat a pan. When its hot, add the horse gram and sauté for 5 minutes..till you get a light aroma. Remove off pan & cool it..
2. Then, dry roast the pepper for a minute.. It changes color & starts to pop. Remove off flame and transfer to plate
3. Then add, the oil & saute red chillies along with hing for half a minute and transfer it to a plate
4. To this mixture, add jeera too and cool all ingredients
5. Transfer the ingredients to a blender and powder them to a semi coarse mixture. Store in a air tight container
Mix with rice and ghee and enjoy :)
Here's a quick re-cap of the all the things i did during the past 6 days under Accompaniments
Day 5 & 6 : Coconut Chutney & its varieties
Day 4 : Cauliflower - Onion Stir fry
Day 3 : Coconut Powder/ Thengai Podi
Day 2 : Gherkins Fry/ Kovakkai Podi Karamedu
Day 1 : Mint Paste/ Pudina Thogayal
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what other Blogging Marathoners are doing this BM#15