Raw Banana(Vazha is banana & kai means raw) Karamedu or Poriyal is one of the easiest things to make. You could prepare so many dishes of them..be it chips, bajji's, different types of karamedu..gosh!.
I noticed that i have been constantly rambling about how i will soon get back to blogging..but have never been able to implement it :(.. A lot of things has kept me occupied.. travel, shifting to a new place and blogging unfortunately took a back seat..I am sure i am the ' Forgotten Fossil' of the Blog world :D, but its never too late to get back right.. atleast thats what my mom s been telling me :) n here i am, with a revamp of an old posted recipe..
1. Vazhakkai/Raw Banana/ Plaintain - 2-3 medium ones
2. Red Chilli powder - 2tsp
3. Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
4. Salt - to taste
5. Hing - a pinch
6. Oil - 1.5 tbsp
1. Mustard seeds - 1tsp
2. Urad dal - 1-2 tap
3. Channa dal -1 tsp (optional)
1. Peel the raw bananas and chop them into small pieces and put them in water, till you finish doing the same for the rest of the bananas
2. Once you have finished chopping all the raw bananas, drain the water completely. To this add, turmeric and chilli powders, hing & salt. Mix well and keep ready
3.Heat a wok, add oil, once warm, add mustard seeds.
4.As it splutters, add the dals & sauté till it turns light brown. Now add the spiced veggie and cook on medium flame till crispy
Enjoy the karamedu with sambhar/rasam rice..& yes its that simple!
* Sometimes while peeling the vazhakkai, hands tend to turn slightly black , to avoid this grease hand with a little coconut oil..the black stains don't remain!
** Put the chopped Vazhakkai in cold water, till you are done chopping all of them, as they tend to get discolored. So, drain water completely, before putting them in the pan
Serving - 2-3 people ( totally depends on the length & size of vazhakai)
Duration - Less than 30 minutes